How to Clean and Polish Jewellery at Home
Cleaning and polishing jewellery are really two separate processes.
- Jewellery cleaning involves removing dirt, soap residues, skin oils, makeup and other built up grime from your jewellery.
- Polishing removes scratches and oxidizes from jewellery. Polishing restores the original finish.
Professional Cleaning & Polishing
When we professionally clean and polish jewellery, we normally start first with the polishing process. At home, I recommend you start by cleaning the jewellery first.
Free Shipping on all Orders
Recommendations on how to clean and polish jewellery at home.
- At home I would recommend cleaning the jewellery first by washing. Using either an ultrasonic or hand washing the jewellery with a jewellery cleaner, such as LilyJewels SparkleClean. Click here for important information about cleaning certain types of jewellery, such as pearls and plated items.
- After washing thoroughly dry the piece. It is important the jewellery is completely dry before polishing with a cloth!
- Polish with a specialty polishing cloth, for example a Yellow Sunshine polishing cloth, RichGlo Gold & Silver Polishing Glove or LilyJewels ProPolishing Pads first to remove heavy oxidization and surface scratching.
- Finally use a Blue Sunshine polishing cloth to achieve a fine polish.
- Store your freshly cleaned jewellery in resealable plastic bags. Place a LilyJewels 3M Anti-Tarnish Tab in the bag or use our all in one LilyJewels Anti-Tarnish Bags.